Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back to School

Ever since I received this email last spring, I've been a nervous wreak for Haiden.
Hi Abby,
Haiden did such a nice job at the play today. I love when he is proud of himself... that confidence continues to grow! It was so cute to see your little group of kids sitting around you for the play! They were so good! The reason for this email is to share that the whole special ed team at WL feels that if you were interested or ready for Haiden to head back to his home school, we are all in agreement that he is ready. We are basing this on the level of sp ed support he needs to be successful. He has done so well in every facet, everyone has readily agreed that he could return to Eagle if that is what you would like for him. This is not a decision you need to make right away but if Haiden attending Eagle in 2nd grade is a goal, I need to start some transitioning discussions. Let me know your thoughts.
Maria
While at White Lick Elementary, I always had a sense of security for Haiden.  I knew he was in a good place with exceptional teachers, and had a crutch if he ever needed it.  It had always been our goal for Haiden to be able to go back to his home school but I didn't realize it would happen so quickly.  I was thrilled and nervous all at the same time!
So as the summer flew by and the school year crept right around the corner, I became "crazy, nervous mom" as Haiden was ever so cool about starting his year in a new school. 
The morning of his first day, I sat down to eat breakfast with Haiden.  He just kept smiling with excitement.  He then said, "I can't wait to walk to school with Tate."  (Tate is our neighbor and Haiden's best friend.)
I replied with, "Yes, that is exciting, I think I'm going to walk with you too."
With his head down, he looked at me, and in the most annoyed voice said, "Seriously?"
All I could do was laugh but I still walked with him. :-)


All day I thought about him and how he was adjusting.  Were his teachers going to understand his quirks?  Was he going to be okay with all the change?  So when he came home in tears, my heart broke.  I immediately went into "crazy mom mode".  The procedure for what to do with lunchboxes was different than he was use to and his lunchbox was misplaced, the teachers couldn't find it, so he came home without a lunchbox.  I figured I could come to the rescue, run back to the school, and find his lunchbox.  When I returned to his school, I was met by a very busy secretary who seemed annoyed by my request to find his lunchbox.  I was allowed to look in the lost and found but that was it.  I couldn't look in his class and she didn't want to contact his teacher.  So I stomped (yes, I'm sure I stomped) out of there after saying a few things that I shouldn't have, got in my car, and started to cry.  Why in the hell was I crying?  I'm pregnant and just hormonal right?  I had a rough day with the two younger kids and that was just my breaking point?  I was a mess over a freaking lunchbox!  I called his teacher and the special education teacher at the school to see if they could help.  Thank goodness for them!  They quickly got ahold of me, found his lunchbox, and I went back and picked it up.  I'm sure I've terrified them and I'm THAT mom now.  
Haiden had a great rest of the week and I'm calmer now. 
I need to learn to let go, he is going to be okay, I can't fix everything, and he needs to learn how to handle frustration and disappointment without me.  Always easier said than done. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment