Monday, August 8, 2011

Gooey Bags

I had no idea what to call these things.  When I decided to do this activity with the kids the first thing that came out of my mouth was gooey bags...it stuck with them.  I've been trying to find fun ways for Ella to practice pre-writing skills.  You can do so  many different things with these.  Here are a few we did,
practice writing horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines with finger
practice writing with "gems" (the little clear colored stones you find near vases)
practice making shapes using our fingers
put on the light table (Ella's idea)
squish, role, and feel how cool it is

Haiden "erasing" after he wrote a few words.
 Mason enjoyed putting squishing it with his finger and putting the "gems" on the bag.
 Ella practiced writing for a little while but she loved rolling it up.

Here is how you make Gooey Bags.
Gallon size bags
Hair Gel (I got the cheap stuff at the Dollar Tree.)
Food Dye
Glitter

The kids had just as much fun making these themselves.  Hold the bag and let them squirt the hair gel in the bag.  Let them put a few drops of food dye and glitter in the bag.  Seal it off and let them squish it around until it is all mixed together. 

P.S. Those little "gems" have opened a whole new world of discovery.  I'll be sharing all the activities the kids have been doing with those in a future posts. 

1 comment:

  1. See, now the only thing that would come of those bags at my house would be a MESS! I'd have a child who would bite the bag open and then the "contained" mess would no longer be! Hahaha!
    Just kidding! This is so much fun! We've done this with chocolate pudding in the bag before :). Wouldn't you know I'd use food?

    ReplyDelete